Friday, June 3, 2016

Playing Teacher

addition and subtraction 
One thing I love to let my students do in class is play teacher.  So when they have completed their work they have the chance to be the teacher with their friends who are also finished with their work.  They like to grab the pointers and lead the class through morning routines, or practice math activities just like I do! They really are so cute.  It's amazing how they know exactly what I say and how I sound. Sometimes it can be scary, LOL.
number recognition 

So why do I love my students playing teacher so much?  It allows the students time to learn from one another.  They will correct each other while taking turns playing the teacher.  If a student is not reciting the rules correctly or counting correctly the others will show them how to "do it like the teacher does."  I think that it is great because it allows the students to learn while they are having fun.  I also like that playing teacher gives the students a chance to stand up and present in front of their peers.

naming shapes
Lastly it really is just so darn cute to see these little guys mimic me and it allows me to take a second to reflect on how I sound to them.  You never realize just how you sound until you can hear your kiddos trying to be you.  I have actually adjusted some of my routines or ways I explain concepts to them simply based off of my observations of my kinder kiddos playing teacher.  Try it out in your classroom and let me know how it goes for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment